Whether your company specializes in refined products, crude oil, natural gas liquids, liquefied petroleum gas, petrochemical pipeline systems, or related breakout storage, the Liquid Pipeline Study can provide you with valuable information — information you can use as the basis of your company’s performance improvement efforts.
Why Choose Solomon's Liquid Pipeline Study?
Relying on the old, simple mathematical analysis of the past — using such metrics as barrel-mile (bbl-mi) or diameter inch-mile (dia in-mi) — is no longer enough to give you an accurate insight into your business. At Solomon, our benchmarking methodology takes into account your operational complexities. It then gives you a true picture of how successfully you are implementing best practices compared to your competition — and where opportunities to make positive margin improvements exist.
Solomon has successfully used its benchmarking methodology to develop Equivalent Pipeline Complexity (EPC) as a divisor, allowing comparison of diverse pipeline systems. EPC is a dimensionless number, developed using a patented regression analysis of key pipeline system characteristics versus manageable non-volume expenditures (MNVE).
Solomon has consistently shown that EPC provides a better method to normalize pipeline performance than either utilized capacity or diameter-length.
How It Works
Our study is based on extensive information collected across all major facets of an operation, with clients reporting data leading to 400 metrics per pipeline system. We analyze your data using applicable divisors including utilized capacity, diameter-length, and — more significantly — EPC.
Deliverables include a bound study report and four types of Microsoft® Excel® files, which are delivered electronically to facilitate further analytical study. In addition, Solomon consultants conduct executive presentations at each client’s office to review the study results.
Participants in Solomon’s Liquid Pipeline Study include companies specializing in the following areas:
- Refined products
- Crude oil
- Natural gas liquids (NGLs)
- Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG)
- Petrochemical pipeline systems
- Related breakout storage
With a current database of more than 50 pipeline companies representing 260 pipeline systems worldwide, and with regional studies being conducted specifically for North America, South America, and Europe, Solomon’s Liquid Pipeline Study can chart your performance as it compares to the rest of the pipeline industry.
Participating in Solomon’s Liquid Pipeline Study can help you evaluate the status of your facility across a range of performance factors. The Liquid Pipeline Study can help you:
- Determine competitive positions using standard as well as custom industry peer groups
- Assess specific performance shortfalls relative to customized peer groups
- Formulate expense/margin optimization plans to eliminate shortfalls
- Establish performance targets and measure progress
- Demonstrate performance/capability to joint-venture partners, financial institutions, and security analysts
The Solomon Liquid Pipeline Study also offers:
- Reliable metrics for analyzing performance
- Rigorous data validation
- Gap analysis comparing your data to that of various peer groups as well as
- Comparison to systems with diverse operating configurations, system sizes,
terrains, power ratings, products, and complexities
- Performance comparisons at the pipeline system level
- Comparisons across geographic regions
- Absolute client confidentiality