Solomon’s Worldwide Petroleum Terminal Productivity Performance Analysis (PTPA Study) allows you to identify opportunities to improve productivity in your petroleum product terminal operations as well as directly related support functions such as headquarters and regional management.
This beneficial tool, which has been time-tested globally, is designed for the most common type of bulk liquid terminal facility: the refined products truck loading terminal. Terminal operations are benchmarked based on prime receipt mode—pipeline, marine, truck, or rail—using gap analysis, industry experience, and logistics knowledge to define terminal-specific targets.
The study helps participants:
- Set and prioritize cost and operational targets by terminal
- Identify regional key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Validate and challenge internal perspectives of both market gaps and competition
- Feed action plans for continuous improvement programs
- Aid in the search for sustainable differentiation and enhance strategic thinking
- Provide access to market trends and structural changes
- Promote communications among internal stakeholders
The study leverages proprietary data collected and analyzed by Solomon over the past 25 years to identify terminal performance gaps by comparing each facility on a cost per throughput basis. Based on this analysis, Solomon identifies opportunities for improvement.
Study features include:
- A large international database with information on more than 500 petroleum terminals
- Data management quality and consistency
- Third-party impartial analysis of market-based opportunity gaps
- Confidentiality of all data, results, and analysis
- Select health, safety, and environmental (HSE) KPIs
- Regional KPI summaries and potential for subsequent regional “drill-down” analysis
- Consistent, quality data input management
- Strict compliance with relevant US anti-trust regulations
PTPA Study participants receive an on-site presentation and workshop, and electronic copies of all data output files. The study identifies each terminal’s performance gaps and compares performance to other terminal facilities in designated peer groups.
Prior to the on-site presentation, Solomon will forward a draft copy of the presentation to the data coordinator for review. The client can use the draft copy to develop action plans that define tasks and responsibilities to meet the designated key targets.
Solomon’s Advisory Services team of experts can assist you with action plan development and gap closure strategies.
An example of Solomon’s analytical capabilities — the identification of gap closure opportunities — is highlighted in the chart below:
PTPA Trucking Add-On
As an add-on to the PTPA Study, Solomon offers a PTPA Trucking Study to analyze the efficiencies of on-site and off-site operations. Metrics for the trucking study include:
- Fleet productivity and utilization
- Company fleet versus common carrier analysis
- Opportunity gap analysis based on trip distance and cost
- Truck and driver utilization
- Reliability: spills, runouts, accidents, and driver safety
Contact us today to participate or learn more.